The winter storm that rolled through over the weekend is still hanging on. Last night the temperature here at the Pima County Fairgrounds dropped down to 31° and the Catalina and Santa Rita Mountains surrounding Tucson are wearing a mantle of snow. Meanwhile, it’s 82° at Marathon Key, Florida. Tell me again, why am I here?
We’re supposed to have a couple more days of cold weather, but the weatherman promises it will warm up by the end of the week. I sure hope so because I am not a fan of cold weather. The scenery is great, but it’s hard to enjoy it when your teeth are chattering.
Saguaro cactus with snow in the background? That’s just not right! 🙁
It’s going to be another busy week for us. Yesterday we had to drive to Green Valley, about 20 miles south of Tucson, for a medical consultation for Terry. I have another appointment at the VA hospital today (hopefully my last) for this trip. On Wednesday morning Terry has a colonoscopy scheduled. Oh what fun!
When we got back to the fairgrounds yesterday afternoon, our friends Tom and Barbara Westerfield had arrived and were parked just a few sites down from us. It was nice to visit with them for a little while, even though we saw a lot of them in Yuma, where they were working day and night to help make our rally a success.
A little after 4 PM we drove into town to pick up my cousin Beverly, and then we met up with Tom and Barbara and Greg and Jan at Texas Roadhouse. As always happens when this crowd gets together, the time just flew by as we enjoyed our meals, talked, teased, and had a wonderful time together. Our time with our friends is growing short; Tom and Barbara are only here for three nights before they take off for wherever their next adventures await them, while Greg and Jan will be leaving Sunday, headed back for Texas.
At this point we’re not sure exactly where or what we’ll be doing in the next week or two. The Pima County Fairgrounds RV Park closes on Sunday, the 25th and we have to be out of here. That’s no problem if all of our medical issues have been taken care of by then. If for some reason we do have to stay over, we’ll probably go a couple of miles up Interstate 10 to Crazy Horse Campground. We drove over to check it out the other day, and while it’s nothing fancy, it’s clean, has full hookup sites, and the fellow in charge seemed really friendly. Between medical appointments and trying to get caught up on all the rally paperwork, as well as all the other chores we neglected during the rally, we have been so busy that we really haven’t done much else while we’ve been here. So who knows, we may still hang around few days before we move on down the road.
While we were in Yuma, the folks from Redlands Truck & RV Performance Center were going to install an upgraded Pac Brake on our Winnebago, but we discovered that accessing it was going to be more difficult than expected and might require taking our bed apart to reach the engine compartment from above. With everything else going on we decided to hold off on that until after the rally. The Redlands crew will be in Phoenix for The Rally, and while we are not attending that event, we may try to arrange to get together with them after it ends for the Pac Brake installation. Or, we may drive over to California and have them do the work at their facility, where they have the time and equipment to handle anything that might come up.
We want to spend some more time with Terry’s parents in the East Mesa area, and maybe get up to our old hometown of Show Low to see the grandkids. But right now the White Mountains are buried under a couple of feet of snow, so that will have to wait a while.
Thought For The Day – If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can’t buy.