Well, the good news is that Greg White is back from whatever dark place he went to, and finally relented to take me to Dairy Queen last night. Life is back to normal.Or as normal as it ever gets when the two of us are in the same zip code. 🙂
We spent some time playing tourist yesterday, as I gave Greg and Jan a tour of some parts of Tucson they had never seen before. Greg said later that he never knew there were so many topless joints in one town!
We stopped for a late lunch at Luke’s, for some of their famous Chicago style thinly sliced roast beef sandwiches and their delicious French fries. Whenever you introduce friends to a restaurant you like, you always worry that it won’t measure up to their expectations. But Luke’s didn’t let us down, and now Greg and Jan are converts.
We drove out to Tucson Mountain Park, on the west side of town, and stopped at the scenic overlook at Gates Pass.This has always been one of my favorite places in Tucson, and we admired the rugged mountains, with ancient saguaro cacti marching up their steep sides.
There are two or three stone buildings on the hillsides that were erected by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression, and if you’re feeling particularly ambitious, you can hike up to them. None of us were.
We drove out past the Old Tucson theme park and movie studios, and then back into town, where we stopped at WalMart to pick up a few things. Well, Greg, Jan, and Terry went shopping. I stayed in the truck and took a nap. Just looking at how steep those mountainsides were wore me out!
Our next stop was at my cousin Beverly’s house, where we introduced her to Greg and Jan and had a nice visit. From there, we made a stop at Trader Joe’s, and then went back to the fairgrounds.
We were only home a short while, before we piled back in Greg’s truck and ran to Dairy Queen. Folks, I’m telling you, that chocolate milkshake was nectar from the gods! Life is good.
Life almost wasn’t good, which we discovered while we were in Yuma, when Terry unloaded the bay where we store our RV rally supplies. At some point in our travels, one of the digital projectors we carry in that bay apparently rubbed against the overhead light and managed to move the switch into the On position. Then it pressed against the light so closely that the bulb melted the plastic covering over the light, and then burned a hole through the outside flap of the projector’s case, through the side of the case itself, and then melted an electrical power strip inside the case!
I shudder to think of what could have happened! We really dodged a bullet with this one! To prevent a recurrence, we have rearranged things inside the bay, and taken the bulb out of that light.
You might want to check your storage bays too, and make sure you don’t have a potential fire hazard in your own RV. I’m forwarding a link to this blog to my friend Mac McCoy to incorporate into his RV fire safety classes. Hopefully someone else can learn a lesson from our near miss.
Thought For The Day – Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.